Tuesday, April 6, 2010

A great night at Barney's

I had gone to Barney's tonight to return a dress.  On my way out, I could hear club music coming from the second floor.  A salesperson suggested that I check it out.  What a surprise awaited me when I got there.

Chloe Sevigny, Jack McCullough and Lazaro Hernandez (Proenza Schouler), Zac Posen, Rachel Roy.  Tamara Mellon, the woman behind Jimmy Choo.  Jamie Johnson.  Cecilia Dean.  Pat McGrath.  Simon Doonan.  Waris.   Genevieve Jones was one of the first people I saw.  I was trying not to stare too hard so I couldn't take in her whole outfit as much as I wanted to.  I'm not quite sure how she became a socialite, but Stephanie and I agreed that she sure knows how to dress. 

It was a who's who of fashion.   Not people that a majority of the American public would care less about, let alone recognize.  Sevigny and a couple of other socialites were hosting a book signing for Derek Blasberg's Classy, Exceptional Advice for the Extremely Modern Lady.  I met an equally mesmerized shopper/party crasher named Stephanie, who knew the names of all of the big people in attendance better than me.  She just graduated from Dartmouth and works in finance;  yet she, like I, has a real love for fashion. 

Champagne and hor d'oeuvres were a-flowing.  Stephanie and I were hanging buddies for the event.  It was quite a night.  Nate Berkus let me walk out the door first on the way out of the store.  He and McCullough were behind me, joking with each other.  It felt exciting yet comfortable being there.  As I told Stephanie, it was as though fate led us there.   I got a natural high being in the presence of style greatness.  I created this blog because I love fashion and it inspires me.  Now, I'm more inspired than ever.

I'll post party pics once they make it online. 

1 comment: